Tonight, our guest Scott Ritter returns to Bringing Light Into Darkness to discuss a host of connected themes regarding historical context and unfolding conditions in the US led Ukraine-Russia NATO conflict. William Scott Ritter a former US Marine Corps intelligence who served with the UN implementing arms control treaties and with General Norman Schwarzkopf in the Persian Gulf during Operation Desert Storm in Iraq. Ritter oversaw the disarmament of weapons of mass destruction (WMD), as a United Nations weapons inspector, from 1991 to 1998. He famously warned Congress and anyone who paid attention that there was no WMD. This life experience led him to later became a critic of United States foreign policy and challenge many of its public claims including those in Ukraine.
Show Outline: Following a short geopolitical contextual introduction our guest addresses and/or explicates the following:
1. In addition to current nuclear war threat and the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962 Ritter shares the 1983 Able Archer NATO nuclear threat that followed Autumn Forge military exercises and how President Reagan addressed it with the INF Treaty of the late 1980s and the Conventional Forces in Europe treaty that followed which protected Europe
2. Under Putin the living standards demonstrably improved for the majority Russian population, while previous to Putin the CIA and NATO worked to import Wahabbist Islamic fundamentalism into Chechnya with the design to create a new Afghanistan-like impact that would tear Russia apart as we sought to have other nationalities break away from Russia as well as part of a strategy to dismember Russia. In 1996 we stole an election to have our guy Boris Yeltsin elected.
3. Who was provoking who? NATO multiple 2021 military exercises on Russia’s border preceding the Russian invasion and with NATO knowledge, Ukraine’s bad faith in using the 2015 Minsk agreement to buy time to build up their forces – aka“Diplomacy in NATO terms”
4. And in 2015 US built permanent training facility in Ukraine following coup to train Ukraine forces to fight in the Donbass
5. Nuclear doctrine of Russia and Russia clear warnings of a redline and their good faith effort to pursue diplomatic path that the US rejected.
6. NATO enhanced Opportunity to Promote Inter-operability making Ukraine’s non membership in NATO a myth as they trained Ukraine military to NATO standards
7. Focus on ratio of Ukrainian vs Russian military deaths rather than loss of occupied land. Preserving the ability to fight more important than territorial gains.
8. Join the pursuit of social justice! Only an informed electorate can successfully pursue our democratic mandate!