JOB TITLE: Community Outreach Coordinator (Spanish/English)
DEPT/DIV.: KOOP Radio – Texas A&M COVID-19 Vaccine Outreach and Education Program
Time Period: Nine months
Employment type: Contract-based
REPORTS TO: Program Director
FLSA STATUS: Dec 20, 2021 WORK LOCATION: Field/ KOOP Radio Office/ Remote
The Texas Vaccine Outreach and Education Grant Program is a partnership between Texas A&M
Health and the Texas Department of State Health Services Immunization Unit to fund strategies that
ensure greater knowledge of and access to COVID-19 vaccines by those disproportionately affected by
The mission of Texas Educational Broadcasting Co-operative, Inc./KOOP Radio station is to
provide high-quality, innovative, and diverse community-oriented programming to Central Texans with
emphasis on communities who are ignored or underserved by mainstream media. As a cooperative
community organization, KOOP Radio prioritizes the needs, values, and rights of all community
members, especially the most vulnerable with intention and care.
KOOP Radio, as a community-based organization (CBO) in Central Texas, has been awarded the
grant for the period of nine months to engage their community in proactive COVID-19 vaccine education
and outreach activities with the goal of increasing the number of people fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in
Texas. Reaching high vaccination rates across individuals and communities, especially the
communities of color, Texans with disabilities, and Rural Texans will be key for achieving
broader population immunity through a vaccine.
Position Summary: The Community Outreach Coordinator will be a contract-based position with KOOP
Radio for the period of nine months. The hired individual will lead strategic communications for the
KOOP Radio- TAMU COVID-19 Vaccine Outreach and Education Program at KOOP Radio. This position
will coordinate community engagement and outreach and will manage public education with respect to
COVID-19 vaccination. For nine months period, the Outreach Coordinator will identify community partners
in the program’s proposed services area; work with vaccine providers, medical providers, and
community organizations to solicit community leaders to participate in community conversations; locate
speakers of primary languages among target population members; host education and outreach events;
and target outreach and engagement activities to Latinx, Black and rural White community members.
The role oversees all media relations, public relations, and community outreach and will be responsible
for building relationships with key partners locally and across the state to reach vulnerable and/or
underserved populations who are not yet vaccinated with COVID-19 vaccines.
Essential Job Functions:
- Proactively builds and maintains relationships with existing and new partner organizations that
work closely with KOOP-TAMU COVID-19 Vaccine education and outreach program’s target
populations—including other non-profits, churches, schools, health clinics across Central Texas,
and others—to establish a comprehensive strategy for outreach, communication, and referral;
- Creates and coordinates culturally tailored outreach materials to engage with underserved
and/or vulnerable community members about COVID-19 vaccination;
- Manages all press release communications by drafting responses and statements as needed
based on changes to COVID-19 vaccination policies and local updates;
- Develops social media strategy for target vulnerable and/or underserved populations and
manages social media channels;
- Assists with virtual and in-person outreach concerning available resources and other relevant
public information regarding COVID-19 vaccination outreach and education resources for
members of program target populations;
- Coordinates with other team members to maintain a public-facing, online resource center
related to available programming and services; and
- Partners with relevant community organizations to incorporate public education into COVID-19
vaccination and generate word-of-mouth referrals.
- Stays abreast of latest trends in communications, marketing, video, technologies, social media,
and digital strategies.
- Organize town halls and forums with all community stakeholders—including individuals,
families, and staff from partner organizations — for Spanish/English bilingual virtual
presentations and Q&A sessions that reach KOOP’s target populations;
- Organize ad hoc public education seminars at KOOP Radio station and at remote enrollment
sites at clinics, public libraries community centers, affordable housing properties, and other
- Coordinates KOOP’s attendance at health fairs, community resources fairs, farmers’ markets,
LGBTQ and other business openings, conferences for international students, etc., and share
flyers and information across all counties.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Graduation from a four (4) year college or university with major coursework in Public Health,
Nursing, Social and Behavioral Health Science, Communications, or a closely related field plus
two years of experience involving the development and coordination of public information or
community outreach or involvement programs; or
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Public
Health, Nursing, Social and Behavioral Health Science, Communications, or a closely related field
plus one year of experience involving the development and coordination of public information
or community outreach or involvement programs; or
- Three years of experience in public relations, community outreach among vulnerable
populations, and/or social media
- Valid Texas driver’s license
- Communicates clearly and effectively in all situations
- Able to prioritize different tasks and wear multiple hats
- Think critically and analyze efficiently
- Adapt, learn, and perform work in a fast-paced and ever-changing work environment
- This position is bilingual – Spanish required
KOOP Radio is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual
orientation, and gender identity.
This is a full-time role with monthly compensation of $3,700.00.
If you’re interested to apply for the position, please send your cover letter and resume to Project
Director, Reshmi Chowdhury, firstname.lastname@example.org.